Overlapping coils / Tapped coils

Discussion/suggestions of research/experimental topics in armature development
Dymitr Nawrocki

Overlapping coils / Tapped coils

Post by Dymitr Nawrocki »

Hi, I'm new to the forum, i found out about Arcflash because of Ian McCollum videos about coilguns. I was wondering on how to accelerate projectile for the whole length of the coil, and i got two ideas, first is to use overlaping coils. Second is to somehow make center of the coil "run away" from the projectile, i figured out that it can be more or less done by making single coil with taps and sequentially applying voltage to next taps as the projectile moves forward. The more frequent taps will be the better resolution we will have and we can keep projectile closer to center of the coil all the time wich means there will be higher magnetic saturation of the armature. In this case Winding will have same amount of wire as separate coils but that winding gives us much more coils at the same time and they overlap each other so we can keep projectile close to center of the coil all the time, the main disadvantage is much more the circuity needed to switch high current at many different connections, so it would be best to make very low power prototype and compare it with smillar multi stage coilgun. Same windings could be even used if coils would be disconnected from eachother.
Attachments
Tapped coils
Tapped coils
Coilgun taped coils.jpg (99.12 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Overlapping coils
Overlapping coils
Coilgun overlapping coils.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Dymitr Nawrocki

Re: Overlapping coils / Tapped coils

Post by Dymitr Nawrocki »

Just a quick update about the capacitor side circuit idea. Sequence there would be: (D1 , D1_2 for coil L1,L2) then mosfet gets low pulse and breaks circuit wich turns all scr off. Then (D2 , D2_2 for coil L2,L3) Then mosfet gets low pulse and it repeats that way for rest of coils.
Attachments
Coilgun tapped circuit idea.jpg
Coilgun tapped circuit idea.jpg (216.75 KiB) Viewed 16 times